Risk Factors for Periodontal Disease
A number of factors can put you at greater risk for periodontal disease. These include:
- Poor oral hygiene and/or diet
- Hormonal changes (in women, these are linked to puberty, menstruation, oral contraceptives, pregnancy and menopause)
- Medical conditions such as diabetes, osteoporosis, Down syndrome, inflammatory bowel disease, diabetes and AIDS
- Certain medications, including some steroids, oral contraceptives, immunosuppressants and treatments for hypertension and seizures
- Tooth grinding and clenching
A periodontal examination is highly recommended for anyone who has one or more risk factors for periodontal disease. Contact us today to schedule an oral health consultation with Dr. Dehni.