Periodontal Disease and Health
Oral health is an excellent indicator of overall health. In fact, research has identified periodontal disease — infection of the tissues that support the teeth — as a factor in a number of serious health problems. The bacteria that cause periodontal disease can enter the bloodstream, where they travel to major organs and cause harm in other areas of the body.
Periodontal disease has been linked to:
- Increased risk of heart attack or stroke
- Increased risk of heart disease
- Greater complications in those who have diabetes, osteoporosis or respiratory disease
- Increased risk of having pre-term, low birth weight babies
The good news is that a trained periodontist can help assess and treat periodontal disease before it causes serious problems.
A periodontal evaluation is an excellent investment in your oral health as well as your overall health. A periodontal evaluation is especially recommended for those who:
- Are exhibiting any signs of periodontal disease
- Have risk factors for periodontal disease
- Have been diagnosed with heart disease, diabetes, osteoporosis or respiratory disease
- Are considering becoming pregnant
Contact us today to learn more about the relationship between periodontal disease and overall health or to schedule a consultation with Dr. Dehni.